Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Color Hues Challenge #86 - Lilac & Lime

Hello friends.  Time for a new challenge at Color Hues and our sweet hostess Julie is looking for LILAC & LIME on our cards.

Couldn't resist playing with my BotaniCuts: Lilacs dies again (The Greetery) and because postage collage cards and postcard cards are so popular right now, I turned my card into a vintage postcard.  Here's what I came up with...


I started by using Penny Black's Vintage Postcard stamp and Soft Suede ink (SU!) on a cream colored panel.  I inked around the edges with the Soft Suede ink (and also the card base) to continue with that vintage vibe.  I also used The Greetery's Pretty Postmarks stamp set to add some background text, the happy birthday with love, the stamp, & and the cancelation marks.


Next I went to work on the actual Lilacs, die cutting them first from white cs, and then ink blending with Gina K's Light, Medium, & Dark Lilac inks for the flowers and Lemon Lime Twist (SU!) for the leaves.  I also added some glitter to the centers of the flowers.

I went pretty traditional with these colors, but the sky's the limit and we can't wait to see what YOU create with hues of these two colors!  Check out what our DT and Special GD Sue came up with to inspire you right HERE and then play along with us.  This challenge is open till Tuesday, May 14th @ 9:00AM.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!



18 comments:

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Stunning spray of lilacs, Marcia - just love them atop the postcard!!

Birgit said...

Oh my heart! You must know how much this beautiful card is speaking to me right now. I adore this!!! The postcard background is just perfect for showing off these lovely lilacs. You did an amazing job coloring them, adding in richness and variety of lilac tones. So stunning!!

Lisa Elton said...

Now that's a postcard I would love to find in my mailbox! This is perfectly dreamy, Marcia. All of your elements flow together so well. Now if I could just get lilacs to grow in my yard...!!!

I Card Everyone said...

We'll be competing to get that gorgeous postcard delivered into our own mailbox, Marcia! WOW, this is just as pretty as your wonderful lilacs in that photo you shared yesterday!
You know I'll be wanting to play with that one, right?
=]

Cat Craig said...

Love those lilacs... so pretty and love it paired with the postcard base.

Leslie Miller said...

What a beautiful combination of stamps and dies to create this amazing card! The postcard base sets a lovely stage and, oh(!), look at that postage stamp! Of course, the lilacs are gorgeous. I'm smitten... and only two colors. Wow!

TK said...

LOVE your postcard, but also those beautiful lilacs! Mine are almost gone but I sure have enjoyed them while I could -- I can almost smell your lilacs from your card! Well done

Nancy said...

I love that you made a vintage postcard with these colors, Marcia! Such a great job doing something a wee-bit different with your florals. You really captured the various colors of Lilacs perfectly. You should be very happy with this!

Julie B said...

This is such a brilliant idea Marcia, the lilac looks fab and reminds me of early childhood. We had a huge lilac bush in the garden that was always full of blossom. Thanks for embracing my colour duo. :)

Bobby said...

The first thing I thought of when I saw the colors was my new lilacs, Marcia, but you beat me to it. Yours are so lovely and I only hope I can make some just as beautiful. I love the idea of the postcard. Wonderful creation, my friend.

Stef Perry said...

Such a great vintage card Marcia! The lilacs are stunning (love how you inked them!) and along with the postage details, makes this such a delightful birthday card! Beautifully done!

Bonnie said...

Ooh, I love, love, love this, Marcia! The lilacs are so beautifully colored and realistic that I can almost smell them! Love the postcard background with the perfect vintage look!

Cindy Beach said...

I just love the look of your vintage postcard, Marcia! I can never get enough of those gorgeous lilacs. They look especially beautiful in these colors and you got such lovely variations of them. A fabulous design!

Sue said...

Your lilacs are beautifully coloured with a variety of tones, Marcia. I love the postcard background, looks so good combined with those lovely lilacs.

Karen said...

This is a spectacular card, Marcia! Your ink blending of the various hues of lilac is just gorgeous, and so realistic! Adding them to the vintage postcard was a brilliant idea--and I love the lilac stamp in the corner. Hard to imagine a more perfect card for a lilac and lime challenge!

Tracey McNeely said...

Marcia I can't say enough about how lovely your design is and right up to the minute with the post card! I adore the background with the bold lilac flowers over the top. Like Karen said so many hues of lilac, it looks so lovely as usual. I always love coming to your blog my friend!

Loll said...

AH-MAZING!! Gorgeous card Marcia. LOVE the shades of lilac along with the sparkle from the glitter. These flowers are so special and they look amazing with the vintage postcard background. Beautiful! xx

donna mikasa said...

Prettiest postcard, Marcia! I especially love the different shades of purple on your lilacs!