Thursday, October 5, 2023

Dry Embossing with Re-inker Water Coloring

Hello friends.  The Group of Seven Cardmakers is a group of 7 friends that get together each month and try a new technique...this month it was Dry Embossing with Re-inker Water Coloring.  Sounds intriguing, doesn't it?!  The cards were absolutely BEAUTIFUL and I really wanted to try it, but there was one drawback for me...using black ink on the inside of your embossing folders!  I basically only use Versafine Black Onyx ink and it stains!  I could care less if it stains my stamps...I just clean it really well and they still stamp beautifully time after time.  After reading Bonnie's post (HERE) and her experience with using permanent black ink on her embossing folders, I almost didn't try this technique!  I tried Bonnie's faux version and came up with this...


It's a nice enough card, but I didn't like it!  I was trying to be too controlling!  I used SSS's Pepperberry embossing folder and dies along with Lindy's Magicals instead of re-inkers, and painted the die cuts and then fit them into the embossing folder with a piece of black cs I had already embossed.  The Magicals have a shimmer to them because of the mica flakes in the powder (you activate it with water and then paint with it), so in real life the shimmer is very pretty, but again, it just wasn't the technique like all the gals had done.  And it bugged me for a few days because I really wanted to try it, but just didn't want to stain my embossing folders and have the ink come off on other cards.  So after mulling it over for a few days, the light bulb went on, and here's 3 cards I came up with...


I stuck with using the Magicals rather than re-inkers and water colored my cardstock with Red Hot Poker Orange and Autumn Maple Crimson from the Autumn Leaves collection.  Once it was dry, I inked up the flat side of TH's Poinsettia 3D EF with SU!'s Basic Gray ink, which is a dark gray and a firm foam pad, so it inked up the flat side of the folder beautifully!  I probably could have inked it up again to achieve an even darker background, but I was so happy with the way it turned out that I didn't want to tempt fate and try to line it up perfectly again!  I matted it with some gold mirror cs and attached to a black card base and then finished with a gold embossed sentiment from C&9th's Festive Flower stamp set.  


This one didn't photograph as well but it really is pretty with the blues (Tibetan Poppy Teal) and greens (Ponderosa Pines Olive) and SSS's Vine Canopy embossing folder.  I used SU!'s Night of Navy ink to ink up the embossing folder for this one, and I did get brave and inked it twice!  The sentiments are from Honey Bee's Bitty Buzzwords stamps and dies.  Once again the shimmer from the Magicals is SO PRETTY!!


For this card I used SSS's Fall Foliage ef and then the Magicals again in Autumn Maple Crimson, Cattail Copper Brown, & Red Hot Poker Orange.  I used SU!'s Blackberry Bliss ink on this one and I really think it might be my favorite!  The shimmer and color on the leaves truly makes me think of the beauty of Autumn and what a master artist God is!  I cut my panel in half (so I could make 2 cards) and attached it to a full panel that was embossed on plain white cardstock...it really makes the colors stand out next to the white!  I added a strip of gold mirror cs between the two for definition and then finished with a foiled sentiment from Spellbinders.

So I went a little rogue and didn't quite follow the instructions exactly, but I am so pleased with the way these cards turned out...LOVE them!  Thanks so much ladies for all your BEAUTIFUL inspiration that got me going...I enjoyed every minute of this FUN technique!! 


Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!



13 comments:

Cat Craig said...

I love that you experimented, staining my ef's is kinda a deal breaker. I do have some dark gray inks, or maybe even coating with versamark first then the dark will make the clean up easy. In anycase your cards turned out beautifully. I'm with you on the blackberry bliss!

I Card Everyone said...

Three gorgeous cards, Marcia! You had me at Poinsettias!
=]

Loll said...

I'm so happy you had fun with this technique. I LOVE that you changed up what was used ... it's always good to try the products we have (or avoid others that might give us grief). All the cards are all beautiful, but I have to say I'm mesmerized by those gorgeous poinsettias!! Great work Marcia. Thanks for sharing at Group of Seven! xx

Bonnie said...

Oh, my! You get an A+, Marcia! You even make me want to try this again! My jaw dropped at the second card! Then dropped again with the 3rd! I'm so glad you got two cards from that piece. I may have to try it with my SU inks. Thanks for trying and passing on your thoughts.

Christine Alexander said...

the magicals all look amazing, I'll have to try that :)

TK said...

All of your cards are beautiful, even if they don't follow the rules as solidly as possible. I can see a peek of the shimmer, and it looks wonderful

nancy littrell said...

OMG...Marcia...All 4 of your cards using your own twists for the GO7 technique this month are STUNNING, my friend. TFS your beautifully photographed cards and detailed descriptions. So appreciate you playing with us and sharing all 4 of your beauties..Wow!!!! They are all my favorites!!! Love and Hugs..Nancy

Birgit said...

Wow! These are gorgeous! I would struggle with using black ink on my ef too. The magicals really are just that..... magical!!

Lisa Elton said...

Rules or no rules these turned out to be amazing cards, Marcia! I don't know if I could bare to ink up my EFs LOL, but you might have inspired me to give it a try!

Bobby said...

It's the technique that mattered I think, Marcia, and not the products you use. I randomly spread Distress Ink on mine before inking the embossing folder with Altenew's Graphite ink for the Just Us Girls challenge (long before GO7 did their technique) and both Bonnie and Loll encouraged me to send it to GO7.
Yours are so gorgeous with the Magicals and the different colored background inking. I'm going to go through my embossing folders to see what else I can do. I don't have a lot of 3D ones which work best.

Karen said...

I think all of them are gorgeous, and your experiments turned out beautifully. I love the first one as well, although it has a much more CAS vibe than the others. The metallics are gorgeousQ

Leslie Miller said...

Wow, you did so amazing with this technique! Wait... do I see my birthday card here? Those embossed leaves with the Magicals are stunning and no way can a picture ever do it justice. Thank you, Marcia!

Julia Aston said...

So sorry I am so late in visiting you using this technique Marcia - I love all of your cards and how you just let go and played with the technique using different EF's and different inks - thanks for sharing this with us at GO7!! Julia xx