Saturday, March 2, 2019

CAS Watercolour March 2019

Hello friends.  Jenny is our host at CAS Watercolour and she has a fun challenge for you this month...using water colors on vellum.


If you've never water colored on vellum before, Jenny has some great tips and videos that you can check out right HERE...I encourage you read and watch so you don't end up like me and have some do-overs!

I have 2 cards to share today...my tulip card and a 2nd card that was actually my 1st attempt where I didn't read Jenny's tips first...grrrrr!


Part of my problem with my first attempt was the thin vellum I used, so for this card I used cardstock weight vellum from PTI...what a world of difference!  No warping at all!  I used an image from the SSS set called Mandy's Flowers and embossed it in silver and then used my Zigs to water color it.


Here's a closer up so you can see my coloring better.  I used my orange and red Zigs along with my Aqua Painter to move the color around on the tulips and then used a few different green Zigs for the leaves.  I did a simple frame with PTI's Pierced Feature Frames Dies along with a white card base, and then finished with a simple little tag (PTI's Stemmed Statements) and twine for my sentiment.

Here was my first try:


Now don't get me wrong...this isn't a bad card.  But...if you look closely you can see the warping of the vellum and in turn it made the cardstock warp too!  And this was AFTER I had set it under a pile of heavy books for a few days!!  I embossed in gold SSS's Bouquet Of Thanks and then water colored it using Dusty Concord, Wilted Violet, & Peeled Paint distress inks, and used a bit more water than I should have!  Between the thin vellum and the use of more water than I really needed, I ended up with one really warped piece of vellum.  And although the image is pretty, it really bothers me that it looks so messy with all the warping.  Jenny states in her tips and tricks that heavier weight vellum and a minimum of water will eliminate this problem, so please be sure to take the time to read her tips and tricks!  And if you're interested, I used PTI's vellum cardstock that you can find HERE.

Make sure you check out all the wonderful inspiration from Jenny (her card is GORGEOUS!!) and the rest of the DT (their cards are amazing too!) and also our 2 special GD this month...Birgit and Ros.  You're sure to find lots to inspire you, so get out that vellum and your water colors and show us what you've come up with...we can't wait to see you in the gallery HERE.  This challenge is open till the 24th.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


21 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

Two wonderful cards Marcai! The first is just beautiful with the vibrant orange tulips and the embossing. It's frame worthy!

Linda said...

Two gorgeous cards, Marcia. Your tulips are so beautiful in the orange and the purple one is beautiful too.

Bobby said...

The vibrant color of the tulips is so eye catching, Marcia. Warping would bother me too and fortunately I have some of that PTI vellum. Only two sheets left so I may have to order more soon.

Bonnie said...

I love your bright orange tulips, Marcia! You've done a great job of getting a vibrant color! I love the purple flowers too! Your shading is so pretty! It is hard to get the vellum to lay flat after adding water.

Christine Alexander said...

two gorgeous cards Marcia, love the effect with the silver and gold embossing.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Beautiful watercoloring on vellum, Marcia!! Especially love the purples with gold embossing!

Cat Craig said...

I think both cards are beautiful. The warping is part of the art.

Mac Mable said...

Thank you for the helpful tips Marcia. Both cards are so pretty but understand what you mean on the second one. Love the bright colours on your first card and such a beautiful and exquisite CAS card x

Ros Crawford said...

I think they are both beautiful Marcia! Thanks so much for having me along with you this week!

I Card Everyone said...

Marcia your tulips are stunning in orange, and I cannot imagine which set of Zigs you have to find this brilliant color! Your 'try again' attitude conquered this technique beautifully, and that's all that matters! xx
=]

Birgit said...

Beautiful water coloring using your ziggies Marcia. Both cards are stunning!! I adore the mason jar image and hooray for you for sticking with it. It turned out beautifully!

Patti said...

When I saw this challenge I scratched my head and said to myself: "I didn't know you could watercolor on vellum"!! WOW!! the results are spectacular! I see the difference in the thicker vellum but both cards are remarkably pretty!! I can't wait to give this technique a try!!

Papercraft Boutique said...

Both cards are sooo pretty, Marcia! And thanks so much for sharing your first attempt and giving us the helpful tips. The flowers and the jar are exquisitely watercolored for the first card. I love the beautiful coloring and the way you added the sentiment strip to the second card.
Hideko xx

My Paper Epiphany said...

Hi Marcia! I love both your cards! Thanks for persisting:) Your tulips are so bright and cheery and the purple flowers are dreamy:) Ps: I notice that Loll & I both correct the warping by running the vellum through the bigshot.

Susan said...

I found I needed to use my heavy PTI vellum too, Marcia. You got great results with it - love the beautiful tulips in the mason jar. The twine adds the perfect rustic embellishment.

Karen Dunbrook said...

Such beautiful cards Marcia...I hear you about the vellum, I had to use what I had on hand and it was hard to prevent the warping.
xx Karen

Loll said...

Two beautiful cards Marcia. I love the bright colours of your jar of tuplips. Adorable!! Your second card is so pretty. Too bad with the warping ... I have had had that happen too. xx

Sharron said...

Sorry about your problems with the one vellum but both cards are beautiful. The bright tulips are so very gorgeous. Love how you used the Mason jar.

Viv said...

These are really pretty Marcia! I'm with you about the warping - maybe that's why I sent vellum to jail!
I don't know who told me about using watercolour pencils - the pencil rubbed on your crafting mat and just the teeniest drop of water on a thin paintbrush to pick up and blend the colour. Whoever it was I am grateful!

Pat said...

I think both pieces are beautiful, but the warping would bother me too, so can see why you made the second one. I love the way you have coloured the tulips and the stitched frame is so elegant. x

Robyn Oliver said...

Two lovely cards Marcia, love the silver embossing and pretty colours. I have to source some vellum, so thanks for that hint.