Thursday, March 2, 2017

Make It Monday #276 - Kraft & Colored Pencils

Hello friends.  This weeks Make It Monday challenge is all about using colored pencils on kraft cardstock, and Melissa shows us a couple of beautiful examples using this technique in her video found HERE.  I made 2 cards because after I finished my first one, I realized I made a goof...can you spot it??



I used the outline image from Fresh Bouquet (like quite a few other people did!) and embossed in white and then colored using my colored pencils.  I used a script background stamp (retired SU!) with Classic Kraft ink for some added interest like Melissa suggested, and was really happy with the look!  Added some striped paper from the Kraft Patterned Paper Pack on an ivory card base, a little bit of hemp cord, a few sequins, and a sentiment embossed in white on vellum from the Keep It Simple: Thinking of You set.  Then I thought I would be brave and try some stitching across the top like Melissa did, and it actually came out pretty good!  Even finished the inside of the card and felt pretty good about the whole card...until I sat there looking at it with a niggling thought that something wasn't quite right.  Have you spotted it yet??  Yep, the script is upside down...grrrrrrr!!  And of course because I had stitched on it and attached the vellum strip already, I couldn't fix it....double grrrrrrr!!  Melissa had mentioned in her video that she hoped someone would try this technique on black cardstock, so I figured might as well start over with something fresh!

 
I hadn't had a chance to use my Medallion Trio stamp set yet and thought that might be interesting on black.  I actually really like the way the colors look on the black...they're even bolder in person, but it was hard to capture with my camera.  Love the way the white embossing really pops against the black too! 

These were both really fun to do, and it was fun to get my colored pencils out again...I tend to neglect them in favor of inks and Copics for color.  You can check out Melissa's lovely cards and video HERE and then play along.

Thanks so much for stopping by today...I love it when you do!


18 comments:

Birgit said...

Both of your cards are so pretty Marcia! I never would have noticed that the script was upside down if you hadn't said it was. Even after looking again, I still don't see it. haha! Guess my eyes are getting old. Your card is stunning either way!!

paperkicks said...

Love, love both of your cards! And I'll just bet no one would notice the upside-down print. Reminds me of a baby gift I made once! Your coloring is gorgeous and the layers work together beautifully!

Jill Norwood said...

Two GORGEOUS cards! I didn't notice the script was upside down until you pointed it out. It is a beautiful look for sure! I need to try it! And I love the coloring on the black cardstock too. Those blooms are so pretty!!!!!

Melanie Ann MacKenzie said...

Hey Marcia...both your cards are terrific. I was reading your post and had to look really hard and still could not really tell that the script was upside down...I think because of the colour it just blends beautifully. Great job my friend. Cheers.

Marybeth said...

Wow!!!! I love the bright and beautiful colors on both cards! That first one is so pretty with that cluster of blooms ...love that! Such pretty rich color with your new stamp !
After seeing this I think I need some new pencils !

Nancy Penir said...

Nope, didn't even notice! I was enjoying your gorgeous coloring, And then to do another, with that gorgeous medallion set (need that one you sweet enabler!), and those rich vibrant colors... well, they are really 2 different styles. Really love them both! Did I mention I love that stamp? ~sigh...

@JoyceCasaldi said...

Oh wow! What stunning. Adds. I cannot see any mistakes.

Sandy Kay said...

I love both of your cards! I couldn't find the mistake! Probably never would have! I love the coloring on black too - will have to try that soon! Your cards both have really nice touches!!

Nancy Guse said...

I didn't notice the mistake either and after you pointed it out and looking at it, I like it! There is a lot of movement in those words. They are both beautiful, beautiful cards!

lainey said...

Thanks Marcia, now I've added Fresh Bouquet to my wish list. lol Your card is lovely with those soft, Spring like colors. I also didn't notice your boo-boo until you pointed it out.

Marlena M. said...

OH my stars I LOVE the look on black! Gorgeous cards (wouldn't have even known the script was upside down ;) )

Kathryn A said...

Awwwwwwwesome! Love them both. The black is beautiful!! I wouldn't have spotted the upside down script unless you pointed it out, though. But once spotted...sigh. I've done that and it drove me crazy, so had to redo it, too ;)

Joyously Noelle said...

I knew your black card was going to be soectacular...then you wowed me with your your sweet flower card too! I'm liking the translucent flowers with the script!

Helen F. said...

Marcia, I didn't spot your 'mistake' before OR after you mentioned it :-) I doubt anyone else would have seen it either! Love both of these, the black CS is a very dramatic look, but the kraft CS is my fave for this technique.

Unknown said...

Well I think both cards are BEAUTIUFL! Upside down script and all! You really can't tell, but you did tell us! lol I would send it to a very NON crafty friend, they will never even know!

Melissa L. said...

Lovely cards, Marcia. I love them both. The black is superb. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your words of encouragement.

Skrater said...

These are so beautiful. Those medallions turned out great, I have that set on my wishlist.

Kathy Mc said...

Both cards are beautiful, Marcia, but the new Medallions are stunning using colored pencils on black. Now I want that Stamp set, too!