Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Make It Monday #277 - Nail Polish Marbling

Hello friends.  This weeks Make It Monday challenge is all about using nail polish to create beautiful marbled backgrounds.  Lizzie has a great video HERE to show you step by step how to achieve these fun and colorful backgrounds.

I made a trip to the dollar store and picked out 4 colorful bottles of nail polish and went to work!  I came up with a couple of backgrounds that I really liked and then proceeded to mess up my first try with smudged black ink...grrrr!  My 2nd attempt came out better:


My colors reminded me of Easter, so I got out the Simply Spring Borders and stamped and fussy cut out the row of bunnies and pop dotted them to the bottom edge of my card.  A simple banner with Aqua Mist cardstock and a sentiment from the same set completed my card.  And I couldn't resist adding little pearls to all the bunny tails!  :0)

Here was my 1st try that I messed up:


I had really liked the way the background turned out on this one, so was pretty bummed when I didn't wait long enough for my black ink on my sentiment to dry and smudged it when tying my bakers twine around the card.  (The smudging is under the word "Just"...it's not terrible, but I know it's there and it bugs me!!)  This card used the Don't Forget To Write kit.

There's still lots of time to play, so check out Lizzie's wonderful card and video, and then play along right HERE.

Thanks so much for stopping by today...I love it when you do!


10 comments:

lainey said...

What pretty colors on your Easter card - very Spring like looking! Maybe on your second card you could pop up "Just A" and maybe "of Thanks" on banners to cover up your boo-boo? It really doesn't look that bad, but I know how you feel about seeing your "mistake".

Nancy Penir said...

Marcia, the first thing I thought of when dipping and lifting my papers, was, Easter! Your projects are fabulous! Love the bunny border, and how beautiful is your notecard! Don't you just want to do this all day???

Linda said...

Well I can't see the smudge at all. What beautiful marbling and fun cards. The second one is my favorite.

Colleen said...

You didn't need to fess up about the smudging because I couldn't even see it when you finally pointed it out!! It is a beautiful background! What a great idea to go to the dollar store...I only have clear polish in my house because I don't even use it very often! I love your little bunnies...they are so cute!! thank you for your very kind comment on my MM card...I learned that shaker technique from Jennifer McGuire quite awhile ago...thought it was genius and I always wonder "why don't I think of those ideas"? Ha ha..I had a great birthday with part of the family and today we all went out for lunch (sans kids because they are too busy with "life"!!)

Nancy Guse said...

Marcia, love, love, love both of your cards!!!

Skrater said...

These are adorable and so sweet. I love your color choices for the background. I am going to have to make more of these using your palette. Beautiful and so springy!

Kathryn A said...

These turned out beautifully! And although I know what you're saying about mistakes "bugging you" (I'm the same), rest assured we can't see the smudging, and neither will the recipient. The pretty marbling is what catches the eye!

Susan Watanabe said...

Both your cards turned out great...love your colors. I can see this technique is not an exact science...I had trouble with mine. Even bought new polish but didn't seem to make a difference. Oh well, it was fun any ways! :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful cards! And to be truthful it is very difficult for me to see your smudged sentiment--I think it's lovely! The colors on your 1st one certainly are Easter and Spring like. So cute! See that POP of pink? To me it looks like a butterfly in flight or a pretty posie! FAB cards!

Kathy Mc said...

Your marbling turned out beautiful works of art, Marcia. Shh, don't mention the smudge as no one would know otherwise. Not sure I'll get to this technique as I need to hurry to get it drying. Both cards are beautiful.